Pumpkin Patch Forums Forum Index Pumpkin Patch Forums
A Tribute to Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile  RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

last-minute goal, Iginla remarked. Colorados

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xusuwen96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49:35 am    Post subject: last-minute goal, Iginla remarked. Colorados Reply with quote

TORONTO - They thought Marcus Stroman could be really good. The young man, never lacking confidence, thought he could be really good. But there were issues the young pitcher needed to work out. Would Stroman be able to stay on top of his four-seam fastball often enough to prevent it from riding up in the zone, which had been a repeated issue for a pitcher of his diminutive size? Did his stuff, a plus fastball and a nasty curveball/slider combination, translate better to late-game relief or would he be a starter? Since his second recall and insertion into the starting rotation, Stroman hasnt been really good. Hes been great. And he isnt the pitcher they thought he would be. He isnt the pitcher he thought he would be. Whats changed? Stroman has developed a sinking fastball which, for the 23-year-old Long Islander, is a game-changer. "That pitch has allowed me to be so much more efficient," said Stroman. "Whereas everyone used to say he cant go deep into games, go deep into games, hes too whatever, whatever, whatever, its really allowed me to go deep into games because its a pitch that I can rely on to keep on the ground. I get big double plays when I need them with that pitch and I get a lot of early outs. I dont have to be as fine with that pitch when Im throwing it." Exhibit A of the new, efficient, Stroman is his most recent start, a 93-pitch, three-hit shutout of the Chicago Cubs on Monday night. He recorded 15 groundball outs (14 groundballs, one of which was a double play) and other than a first inning comeback line drive which almost beheaded Stroman, nary a ball was hit hard. You get the sense Stroman is surprising even himself. "I would have never gone 93 pitches, nine innings ever the way I used to pitch," said Stroman. "It wasnt realistic. I was a four-seam guy; I was a strikeout guy. I always had pretty good control but I always used to have to worry about really locating my heater." The metamorphosis began in the most innocent of ways. It was around the All-Star Break when Stroman, coming off a trying start against the Angels in Anaheim, was sitting in his apartments living room with a baseball in hand. He was, as he said he often does, messing around with different grips. He came across something that "felt right" in his hand. Stroman decided he would take the grip into his next bullpen session. He liked what he saw. He didnt change his release point. The ball naturally sank. Confident he could execute the pitch in major league game action, Stroman experimented in his first post-All-Star Break start, which featured seven innings of shutout ball in a Blue Jays 4-1 win over Texas on July 19. Stroman knew he had something when he froze Shin-Soo Choo with a full count sinker. "He just took it and walked back because Id never thrown it," said Stroman. "That might have been the first one I threw in that game, the second one I threw in that game and after I threw that pitch and I had that movement on it and I saw his take, thats when it started to take off." Stroman has trouble describing how he grips the pitch. "Its not your conventional two-seam by any means," said Stroman. "Thats what I used to try and throw and I had no success with it. I hold all my pitches pretty weird. I kind of just threw my spin and torque the ball in my hand like I do a lot of my pitches with the two-seam and felt really comfortable." Stroman was a high strikeout, high flyball minor league pitcher. Now, hes working a 55-percent groundball rate. The punch outs still will be there but they wont be as frequent. Stromans struck out 20.7-percent of big league hitters hes faced. He fanned 30.8-percent of hitters at Triple-A Buffalo but that was back when he was a different pitcher. Last year, at Double-A New Hampshire, his strikeout rate was 28.1-percent. Some of the strikeout regression is, no doubt, the result of facing big league hitters. But the new approach factors in, too. Stroman still has the plus four-seam fastball. Hes still got his filthy curveball and slider. The sinker gives him yet another look, another way to get hitters out. He can never have too many options. "Im still throwing all the pitches, it just gives me another pitch to rely on too," said Stroman. "Im always going to throw all my pitches. Im not necessarily going to take pitches out but having a sinker definitely helps, especially since Im a starter and the whole goal of being a starter is to keep your team in the game, late into games." Ricardo Louis Jersey . Jamies number grades given are out of five, with five being the best mark. Steve Mason, Philadelphia (4) - Mason was brilliant all night long with save after big save on Benoit Pouliot, Carl Hagelin and Derick Brassard. Joe Thomas Jersey .com) - After Tom Brady added to an already illustrious legacy, Malcolm Butler established his by leaving the Seattle Seahawks, well, deflated. http://www.brownsauthenticproshop.com/Youth-Danny-Shelton-Browns-Jersey/. Martin Reway and David Griger both recorded four points with a goal and three assists each. Mario Lunter, Daniel Gachulinec and Stanislav Horansky also scored for Slovakia (1-0). Dominik Kahun had both goals for Germany (0-2), who lost its opening match to Canada 7-2 on Thursday. Bernie Kosar Jersey . Still, its a start. Josh Baileys goal with 1:40 left capped a furious third-period rally, and the Islanders edged the Penguins 4-3 on Friday night. Seth DeValve Jersey . Tortorella told The Vancouver Province hell be cheering for Team Sweden to win gold when they take on the defending Olympic champions on Sunday morning. "I hope Sweden wins, cause I dont think Hammer (Dan Hamhuis) is going to play, judging by whats happened.Denver, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - David Savard recorded the tie-breaking goal with 1:01 remaining to lift the Columbus Blue Jackets to a 4-3 win over the Colorado Avalanche at Pepsi Center. Brandon Dubinsky potted his first two goals of the season earlier to help the Blue Jackets bounce back from Saturdays 6-3 loss at Arizona. Ryan Johansen scored as well in support of Curtis McElhinneys 27-save effort. Colorado, which began its three-game homestand with a pair of victories, received goals from Jarome Iginla, Gabriel Landeskog and Cody McLeod. Semyon Varlamov finished with 23 saves in the setback. Savard committed a costly gaffe in the games opening minute, turning the puck over in his own end to set up Iginlas marker just 30 seconds in. The blueliner atoned for the miscue with time winding down, however, one-timing a give from Nick Foligno that Varlamov couldnt handle as it trickled into the Colorado net. It was not my best game, but everybody kept positive about the mistake, Savard said. Foligno made a great play (on the winning goal). I was just happy to get open and get the puck. The Avalanche had battled back from one-goal deficits twice earlier, the last when McLeod snuck a wraparound attempt under McElhinneys skate to knot the score at 3-3 with 4:30 left in the second period. We came back, but it was tough to give up that last-minute goal, Iginla remarked. Colorados Matt Duchesne had a shot rattle off the post just seconds after McLeodss goal.dddddddddddd Teammate Alex Tanguay also caught iron on a breakaway chance previously in the period. We had our chances, said Iginla. We played a good, hard, disciplined game. One more minute, we would have had it. The Blue Jackets recovered from Savards early mistake behind Dubinsky, who pulled Columbus even with 8:25 elapsed in the first period with a nifty re-direction of Cody Goloubefs centering pass. He later sent his team in front 1:37 into the second by collecting a loose puck in Colorados end and firing it by Varlamov. Colorado, which racked up 19 second-period shots after mustering just three in the first, forged a 2-2 tie less than four minutes later when Landeskog fought off a check and drove to the net before beating McElhinney with a well-placed backhander. Johansen put the Jackets back in front less than 2 1/2 minutes afterward by connecting on a quick shot from the slot off a crisp pass from Scott Hartnell. Game Notes Goloubef, Hartnell and Foligno each had two assists for Columbus, with Goloubefs his first two as an NHLer ... Johansen extended his point streak to seven games, during which hes posted three goals and four assists ... Dubinskys goals were the 100th and 101st of his career ... The Blue Jackets havent dropped back-to-back games since an 0-5-1 slide from Nov. 18-29 ... Landeskog had gone 14 straight games since his last goal, which occurred Nov. 29 against Dallas. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pumpkin Patch Forums Forum Index The Story All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: