Pumpkin Patch Forums Forum Index Pumpkin Patch Forums
A Tribute to Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile  RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

figures Elliott understands.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
officialsbaseball

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:46:39 am    Post subject: figures Elliott understands. Reply with quote

Yankees manager Aaron Boone would like to see Luis Severino start the All Star game for the American League.

He just wants someone else to take over in the second inning.

Severino pitched five innings to earn his major league-leading 14th win Cody Parkey Jersey , Brett Gardner and Aaron Judge each hit solo home runs, and New York beat the Toronto Blue Jays 8-5 Saturday.

Severino (14-2) won his fifth straight start, allowing three runs and five hits. Two of the hits off Severino were home runs, marking the first time this season that he has allowed more than one homer in a game. Severino has allowed three earned runs or less in 16 consecutive starts.

”He’s been everything you want an ace to be,” Boone said.

The All-Star rosters will be announced Sunday, although starting pitchers for each league won’t be named until the day before the game.

”I’d love to see him start, and go one inning,” Boone said.

Jonathan Holder, David Robertson, Dellin Betances each worked one inning and Aroldis Chapman got the first out of the ninth before leaving with a sore left knee, the same injury that has bothered him for several weeks.

”Just a little more discomfort than what I usually have been feeling,” Champman said through a translator.

With the Yankees ahead by four runs Devontae Booker Jersey , Boone wasn’t about to take any chances.

”He said he was fine to continue but I just didn’t want to mess with it,” Boone said.

Chasen Shreve finished for New York, giving up a solo homer to Aledmys Diaz.

Gardner connected on left-hander J.A. Happ’s first pitch of the game, the 14th leadoff homer of his career and first time he’s gone deep on the opening pitch.

Judge piled on when he homered on Happ’s fifth pitch, his 25th of the season.

”He does a good job of really painting the corners and mixing his pitches well,” Judge said of Happ.” We were able to capitalize on a couple that were out over the plate.”

Happ (10-5), a potential trade target for the Yankees, had a dreadful audition. He allowed six runs and four hits in 2 2-3 innings, his shortest start of the season.

”You never know what’s speculation, what’s truth, and what has any realistic chance,” Happ said of the trade rumours. ”I’m just trying to play and pitch and I’m happy right here.”

Happ matched season-worsts by allowing seven runs and 10 hits in his previous outing Sam Acho Jersey , last Sunday against Detroit. It’s the first time in Happ’s career that he has allowed at least six earned runs in consecutive starts. Happ has lost back-to-back outings following a six-game winning streak.

Brandon Drury hit a two-run double in the first and Gardner hit a two-run triple in the fifth before scoring on catcher Luke Maile’s passed ball.

Toronto’s Kevin Pillar hit a two-run homer in the second and Randal Grichuk added a solo shot in the fourth.

New York outfielder Aaron Hicks left after four innings because of a sore left hamstring. Clint Frazier came on to play left field in the bottom of the fifth, with Gardner moving from left to center.

Boone said Hicks will get the day off Sunday in the hopes that he’ll be ready to return for Monday’s doubleheader at Baltimore.

Home plate umpire Lance Barrett made two ejections, both in the third inning. Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia was ejected for arguing balls and strikes from the bench moments before Blue Jays manager John Gibbons was also tossed for arguing.

CATCH OF THE DAY

Toronto’s Curtis Granderson made a sensational diving catch to retire Kyle Higashioka for the final out of the first.

WALK THIS WAY

The Yankees drew 10 walks, their highest total of 2018. It was the most issued in a single game by the Blue Jays this season.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Yankees: New York recalled Frazier from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre and designated RHP David Hale for assignment. Hale pitched 5 2-3 innings Friday in relief of RHP Sonny Gray. … C Gary Sanchez (right groin) caught RHP Masahiro Tanaka’s pregame bullpen session and also took two rounds of batting practice. Boone said Sanchez could begin a minor league rehab assignment July 15. … Triple-A RHP Luis Cessa is expected to start the second game of Monday’s doubleheader. Triple-A RHP Jonathan Loaisiga was a candidate for the start but has been ruled out because of a sore shoulder. Boone said Loaisiga had an MRI Friday and will visit New York’s team doctor Monday.

Blue Jays: RHP Rhiner Cruz (right groin) left in the ninth inning. … RHP Preston Guilmet was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo. Guilmet was designated for assignment Wednesday.

UP NEXT

Yankees RHP Domingo German (2-4, 5.37) faces Blue Jays LHP Ryan Borucki (0-1, 2.77) in Sunday’s series finale. German has failed to complete five innings in his past two starts. Borucki made his home debut against Detroit on Monday, allowing two runs and two hits in seven innings.

Ezekiel Elliott doesn't pretend that vocal leadership comes naturally for him.

The Dallas Cowboys running back is going to try anyway now that fellow stars Jason Witten and Dez Bryant are gone, and now that his focus is solely on football following a tumultuous second year in the NFL.

Elliott is no longer under investigation by the league over domestic violence allegations that led to a two-month court fight of a six-game suspension he ultimately had to serve starting halfway through last season.

The ban cost him a chance to defend the NFL rushing title he won as a rookie, and helped keep the Cowboys out of the playoffs a year after he and quarterback Dak Prescott, the NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2016, led Dallas to the best record in the NFC.

A quiet offseason reached another benchmark Thursday with the final practice of minicamp. In another six weeks, training camp will be underway in California.

"I think the biggest thing I accomplished is just developing more leadership skills Quenton Nelson Jersey ," Elliott said. "That's really what I focused on coming into this year, just becoming a better vocal leader with the loss of Dez and Witt."

Running backs coach Gary Brown has been pushing the idea with Elliott, who is going into his third season after the Cowboys drafted the former Ohio State star fourth overall in 2016.

The loss of leadership is actually about more than Witten, the tight end who retired after 15 seasons, or the outspoken Bryant, who was released in a cost-cutting move. Veterans Darren McFadden and Alfred Morris aren't in the running backs room anymore.

Elliott isn't the oldest running back at the position for the Cowboys. But he's the most experienced and most accomplished. Elliott still led the NFL in rushing yards per game last year.

"It's a little bit tougher for me to be a vocal leader," he said. "I like to go out there and work. I think it takes a little bit more extra effort to kind of encourage guys to come with you so it's definitely something I have to work on."

With the domestic allegations looming during the offseason last year, Elliott had a hard time keeping himself out of the headlines.

There was video of him pulling down a woman's shirt during a St. Patrick's Day parade. Although he wasn't disciplined for that by the NFL, the incident was mentioned in the letter detailing his punishment. Elliott also had his second minor car accident in his two years with the Cowboys.

The 22-year-old hasn't given anyone reason to question his judgment so far this offseason.

"I think it changed him a lot," Brown said of events over the past year. "I think that he's realized that this is a very special opportunity that he has, especially to be one of the better backs, one of the best backs to ever play. He has that opportunity Jeff Heuerman Jersey , and I think he understands that now."

Elliott shattered the Dallas rookie rushing record with 1,631 yards two years ago. Last season, he was at his best in helping the Cowboys to a three-game winning streak that boosted their playoff hopes. Then the suspension hit.

The departure of Bryant has left the Cowboys with uncertainty at receiver and the likelihood that they will lean heavily on Elliott, with defenses obviously scheming to stop him.

"I'm all for it," Elliott said. "A lot is asked of the running back of the Dallas Cowboys. A lot has been asked of me in pass receiving. I think I've had some great strides this offseason getting ready to carry that workload this season."

While encouraging Elliott to speak up more in his group, Brown hasn't felt the need to stress what's coming with the workload. That's something he figures Elliott understands.

"I think Zeke is a very intelligent man," Brown said. "And it's going to happen early. We understand what the mindset of some defenses will be, and we've just got to make sure we weather the storm."

For now, Elliott is enjoying the calm.

NOTES: RG Zack Martin signed the $84 million, six-year extension that made him the highest-paid guard in the NFL. Martin is now under contract through 2024.

Donte DiVincenzo Jersey ,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pumpkin Patch Forums Forum Index » The Story All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: