Pumpkin Patch Forums Forum Index Pumpkin Patch Forums
A Tribute to Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile  RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

ds-up play made by "a savvy vet." Manuel also got

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lw789

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46:40 am    Post subject: ds-up play made by "a savvy vet." Manuel also got Reply with quote

DETROIT -- Omar Infante put on a power display that was more like his teammate Miguel Cabrera. Infante homered twice and drove in five runs and the Detroit Tigers beat the Cleveland Indians 10-5 on Saturday. The Tigers stretched their lead in the AL Central to 8 1/2 games over the second-place Indians. The Tigers were without Cabrera due to irritation of the abdominal area. The slugger left the two previous games early and has been hampered by a strained left abdominal for more than a month. He is day to day. "Cabreras huge. Everybody knows Cabreras a good hitter and were better with him in the lineup," Infante said. "But weve got a good team, weve got good hitting, weve got everything, good starters. Were a great team. Weve got everything." Infante hit a three-run homer in the second and added a two-run shot in the sixth for Detroit, which has beaten Cleveland seven in a row and 18 of the past 22. "The first one was a slider. I was trying to make contact, the slider stayed, hanging, and I made good contact," said Infante, who homered off Indians starter Scott Kazmir and reliever Bryan Shaw. "Ive been trying in BP, try to hit line drives. Sometimes I make a lot of fly balls. Try to work with my top hand, thats helped me a lot. "The second one was a good cutter, he threw a good pitch. Thats why I say Im working my top hand and try to hit line drives." Yan Gomes homered in the seventh and Carlos Santana added a two-run inside-the park home run for the Indians, who lost their fifth straight. Cleveland outfielder Nick Swisher tried to explain the teams struggles against Detroit. "Sometimes a team got your number," he said. "Just got to take it on the chin and keep moving. Keep fighting, thats all we can do." Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez (12-7) got the win. He allowed three runs and six hits in 6 2/3 innings, walking one and striking out five. Sanchez was replaced by Drew Smyly after Gomes home run with two outs in the seventh made it 6-3. Smyly got the final out and Jose Veras pitched the eighth, allowing Santanas inside-the park, two-run homer to make it 6-5. Tigers centre fielder Austin Jackson tried to catch Santanas drive to the wall by leaping as he raced back. He got his glove on the ball, but it came out as his arm hit the wall. Jackson slumped to the ground, appearing to favour his glove arm. Santana circled the bases for his 17th homer. Jason Kipnis, who had doubled, also scored. Jackson remained in the game after Detroit trainer Kevin Rand and manager Jim Leyland came out to check on him. "Just kind of jammed my shoulder a bit and knocked the wind out of me a little bit." Jackson said. "Once I caught my wind, I was all right." Detroit increased its lead with four runs in the eighth on Jacksons two-run triple, Jose Iglesias squeeze sacrifice bunt and Prince Fielders run-scoring double. "They kept coming at us," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "We fought back, which was good to see, but they just kept scoring." Cleveland relievers Matt Albers and Cody Allen each allowed two runs in one-third of an inning in the eighth. Kazmir (7-7) gave up four runs and seven hits in five innings. Notes: Outfielder-DH Jason Kubel, who was acquired from Arizona on Friday, joined Cleveland on Saturday. To make room for Kubel on the roster, the Indians optioned right-hander Carlos Carrasco to Triple-A Columbus. He will be recalled on Tuesday. ... Detroit recalled the contracts of left-hander Phil Coke and infielder Hernan Perez from Triple-A Toledo and sent right-hander Jeremy Bonderman to the same team. The Tigers also optioned right-hander Luke Putkonen to Class A Lakeland. Bonderman will be recalled to Detroit on Tuesday and Putkonen will return to the major league team on Monday. ... Sunday afternoons series finale will feature Justin Verlander (12-10, 3.73) for the Tigers against Danny Salazar (1-2, 3.67) for the Indians. Sam Mills Jersey . -- Creighton apparently has Villanovas number. Mark Ingram Jersey . Now he can be had by any team willing to pay his salary. According to a report from ESPN, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are shopping the veteran CB and plan on releasing him Wednesday if they cant find a trade partner. http://www.shoptheofficialsaints.com/Elite-Nick-Fairley-Saints-Jersey/. The question is how many minutes will be available to them and can any of their defence or goaltending provide value? Top Picks: Following a down year in 2011-2012, Matt Duchene rebounded with his highest points-per-game (0. Marcus Williams Jersey . "Opinion: Womens World Cup is the best Soccer of the year," Hanks tweeted to his 8.73 million followers on Friday. "Hey FIFA, they deserve real grass. Put in sod. Sheldon Rankins Jersey . Diego Costa headed in Gabis corner seven minutes from time to secure victory ahead of the return match in Madrid on March 11. "We know that at Madrid it will be another game, which will also be important and very difficult," Milan coach Clarence Seedorf said.ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- No, no, and six times no. Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone was in no mood Monday to join the chorus of praise directed at his rookie quarterback. While Bills players and fans were still buzzing a day after EJ Manuel displayed poise and flair in leading Buffalo to a last-second 24-23 win over Carolina, Marrone wasnt making apologies for being a wet blanket. Dramatic as the comeback was, Marrone insisted that Manuel hasnt yet arrived two weeks into the season. "Oh, no, no. Cmon, no," Marrone said, before repeating "No," three more times. "Dont get me wrong, were excited about that. And thats what we expected. But theres some other things that we need to get out of him, and we will." Marrone preferred holding Manuel to a much higher standard by judging his performance over the entire 60 minutes rather than what the first-round pick out of Florida State accomplished with 1:38 left. With no timeouts, Manuel capped a nine-play, 80-yard drive with a 2-yard touchdown pass to Stevie Johnson with 2 seconds remaining. In doing so, Manuel delivered his rookie head coach and the new-look Bills (1-1) their first victory of the season. And he became only the fifth NFL rookie since 1960 to produce a fourth-quarter comeback victory in his first or second game. Marrone instead pointed to several miscues, including two second-half turnovers -- a fumble and interception -- Manuel committed on consecutive possessions, both of which led to Panthers field goals. "Theres a lot of things that we have to clean up for him," Marrone said. "Theres a lot of mistakes that are out there that he committed that we dont expect." Its a tough-love approach Marrone is taking with Manuel as Buffalo prepares to play at the New York Jets (1-1) on Sunday. Criticisms aside, Manuel showed encouraging signs of taking the next step in his development as the Bills quarterback of the future. Manuel went 27 of 39 for 296 yards passing to nearly double his production after going 18 of 27 for 150 yards in a 23-21 seasoon-opening loss to New England.dddddddddddd The Bills offence was far more productive in generating 436 yards and 24 first downs after being limited to 286 yards and 15 first downs against the Patriots. And Manuel was at his best with the game in the balance. Starting with an 8-yard completion to Johnson in the left flat, Manuel completed 6 of 8 attempts for 51 yards on the decisive drive. He also showed his mobility in setting up the touchdown by eluding two pass-rushers to scramble 9 yards up the right sideline before diving out of bounds at the Carolina 2. "That just shows you that hes ready to be the guy for us, ready to put all this on his shoulders," veteran running back Fred Jackson said. "And when given that opportunity to win a football game, hes going to do whatever he can to get it done." Jackson played a role in bailing Manuel out of trouble. With Buffalo facing first-and-10 at the Carolina 46, Manuel attempted to dump off a pass to Jackson in the right flat. With linebacker Thomas Davis closing in on him, Jackson chose to drop the ball in order to save time rather than get tackled in middle of the field. "It just wasnt worth the catch to get a 1-yard gain and run 10 seconds off the clock," Jackson said. "So at the time, I was just thinking, Ive got to drop this and preserve the time." Johnson described Jacksons decision as a heads-up play made by "a savvy vet." Manuel also got help from a pass-interference penalty against linebacker Luke Kuechly. The penalty gave Buffalo the ball at the Carolina 10, and negated an interception Manuel threw in sailing a pass over Johnsons head. "We caught some breaks on that last drive, and thats what needs to happen. But (Manuel) stayed calm," centre Eric Wood said, noting Manuel won four Bowl games at Florida State. "For him, it showed some grit and obviously some play-making ability. We knew he had it. He showed it before in college in different situations. But he showed it on a really big stage yesterday." Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pumpkin Patch Forums Forum Index The Story All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: